Getting the code to work

Discussion related to NP Subscriber Pro.

Getting the code to work

Postby brohendesign » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:35 pm

I have recently started using the Subscriber Pro, installed the cgi scripts, ran the firstrun.cgi and have successfully ran the admin.cgi to create 9 lists. Here are my issues:

I placed the code in my web page for one of the newsletter lists that I have, and I used the code that was given after you create the list through the cgi script. I placed a random user with an email address and pressed submit, but it goes to a blank screen and nothing happens. No subscriber was added.

Also, can anyone write an example of a script so that a user can select whichever newsletter they want (9 in total), then place their name and email address into the form, hit submit, and it adds that subscriber into whichever list they chose? What I would like is for an email to be submitted to that user, and in the email it says that they have to click a link that will confirm their subscription (just like the way it did when I registered for an NPScripts.com accout.

I just ask for assistance in any way possible.

Thank you.
brohendesign

Postby Admin-BS » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:03 am

What you should probably do is install the Form Generator plugin for the script http://npscripts.com/subscriber-pro/plugins/form_generator.zip. Install it using the admin.cgi script, and run it from subscriber.cgi (I believe there are some issues using it in the overall admin script, but I honestly don't remember off the top of my head). This will generate the code you need. I have a feeling that there is something just related to the HTML being used, since you don't seem to have any other issues. The process is picky and admittedly Subscriber has terrible error handling. ;)

Also, using that plugin will address your other question. It gives you the option to create checkboxes of all the lists you wish to allow them to subscribe to. Then, as long as you have subscription confirmation turned on for the list(s), they will be sent an email with the confirmation link.

Hope this helps!
Admin-BS
Site Admin

I tried it, but doesn't work just yet

Postby brohendesign » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:05 am

Admin-BS,

I tried what you mentioned in your post, but when I run the subscriber.cgi, run the form generator, click my options and hit the Get HTML button, it comes up with a error that reads:

"Sorry, but your IP (214.13.56.99) doesn't match the one that is currently on record. If you simply reconnected to the Internet, or changed your IP in any other way, while you were logged in, you must log in again to reset the IP address on record."

I tried to log back in, but I get the same thing over and over. I am working from a military network which runs DHCP, which would obviously change my IP address every once in a while, so how do I avoid this? Please advise. Thank you.

Brohendesign
brohendesign

Postby Admin-BS » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:12 am

Do you only get that error after submitting the form in the form generator plugin?

That error just results when your reported external IP differs from what was stored on record as your reported IP when you logged in. You might check to see if the file "tmp_ip_-_<list_dir>" has the correct IP address (which you could see at a site such as http://network-tools.com.
Admin-BS
Site Admin

I don't understand it

Postby brohendesign » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Ok...with everything that has happened, I had to completely remove all of the Subscriber Pro from the cgi/newsletter folders, and then reapply everything from scratch. All of the cgi scripts have run successfully, except for the Form_Generator. Everything has been uploaded via ascii through my FTP program.

Here's what I did: I placed the form_generator.spi file into the Plugins folder. I logged into the admin.cgi and clicked on the Install Plugin button. I typed in form_generator without the .spi extension, and clicked Install. A few seconds later, I received the Congratulations screen within my browser. I then followed the button to go back to the admin.cgi, but when I scrolled down to the Plugins section, nothing appeared.

I have tried this many times, but I get the same result. The first time I installed everything, I was able to use the Form Generator to create the HTML that I needed, but at the time I received IP Address confliction errors.

I thought that re-installing all of the scripts would assist me in making this work, but so far, it's been a no-go. Can you direct me to do something else? Thanks.
brohendesign

Postby Admin-BS » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:06 am

If the button isn't showing up in either admin panel (on admin.cgi or subscriber.cgi), then most likely the file "plugins.list" in the plugins directory is not being written. If you look at it there should be the following lines present:
Code: Select all
require "plugins/form_generator.spi";
&button;

If these are not present, you can manually add them. Or, you can make sure you have proper write permissions set on that file and the plugins directory itself.
Admin-BS
Site Admin

Return to Subscriber Pro